If you’ve been falsely accused of a crime, wrongly convicted at a trial, or unfairly punished at sentencing, the walls feel like they are closing in. You’ll wonder if you’re out of hope.

You still have an opportunity to reverse the judgement and sentence. In California and Colorado, you have a statutory right to appeal your criminal case, as long as the notice of appeal is filed within the deadline.

In a criminal appeal, you can attack every piece of the prosecution’s case. You can challenge the search and seizure of evidence, the police interrogation, and the expert and scientific testimony. You can challenge the selection of the jury. You can argue there was insufficient evidence to support your convictions, you can challenge the judge’s legal rulings and instructions to the jury, you can argue your attorney provided ineffective assistance of counsel, and you can challenge the sentence.

However, an appeal is not a second trial. The procedures are different, there is no jury, instead there is a panel of scholarly judges, and complicated legal issues predominate. You can’t call witnesses or present new evidence. You have to rely on the “four corners” of the trial record.

William Holzer is a legal counselor and advocate for his clients. Initially, he speaks with the client about the case, ensures the notice of appeal is filed, and orders the transcripts of the trial. Then he reviews the transcripts and provides his professional assessment on the options and strategies available to his client. If the client wants to go forward with the appeal, then William becomes an advocate, zealously litigating the case at every level to archive a successful result for his client.

If you’re interested in having William represent you in your appeal, please email the office and request a confidential Zoom meeting.